e-Filing a Free Federal Extension
- Step 1: Estimate your tax liability. The TurboTax TaxCaster can help you with the calculation.
- Step 2: File a free federal extension with Intuit TurboTax.
Documents Needed to Prepare Tax Return
- Social Security number for yourself
- Social Security number for your spouse and dependents, if applicable
- Birthdates for every person to be claimed on your tax return
- W-2, 1099-MISC or list of cash payments for all jobs worked in 2018
- Form-1099s reflecting other income you may have received (i.e. bank interest, social security, unemployment, pension, etc.)
- Tax forms from educational institutions for tuition/education fees for yourself or for a child. Also, please be prepared to break down how much you spent in tuition and books, information on scholarships you received, etc.
- Childcare provider name, address, and tax identification number for any childcare expenses, if applicable
- End of the year retirement plan statements (401(k), IRA, etc.)
- Closing documents, if you purchased or refinanced your house in 2018
- Bank account and routing number, if you wish to have your refund automatically deposited
- Copy of last year’s return (necessary if you itemized the previous year)
- Copy of the tax return, or income documents for your dependents
- If you purchased health insurance through the exchange/marketplace, Form 1095-A.
IRS Language Glossaries
The IRS has prepared the following glossaries to translate the federal tax terminology for non-English speaking taxpayers.
- IRS Spanish Glossary
- IRS Chinese (Simplified) Glossary
- IRS Chinese (Traditional) Glossary
- IRS Korean Glossary
- IRS Russian Glossary
- IRS Vietnamese Glossary
Earned Income Tax Credit Calculator
To determine whether or not you’re eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, use the IRS EITC tool.
Foreign Student Resources
Please see the information on the Non-Resident page.