Home » Client Resources

Client Resources

e-Filing a Free Federal Extension

  • Step 1: Estimate your tax liability. The TurboTax TaxCaster can help you with the calculation.
  • Step 2: File a free federal extension with Intuit TurboTax.

Documents Needed to Prepare Tax Return

  • Social Security number for yourself
  • Social Security number for your spouse and dependents, if applicable
  • Birthdates for every person to be claimed on your tax return
  • W-2 forms for all jobs worked in 2017
  • Form-1099s reflecting other income you may have received (i.e. bank interest, social security, unemployment, etc.)
  • Tax forms from educational institutions for tuition/education fees for yourself or for a child. Also, please be prepared to break down how much you spent in tuition and books, information on scholarships you received, etc.
  • Childcare provider name, address, and tax identification number for any childcare expenses, if applicable
  • End of the year retirement plan statements (401(k), IRA, etc.)
  • Closing documents, if you purchased or refinanced your house in 2015
  • Bank account and routing number, if you wish to have your refund automatically deposited
  • Copy of last year’s return (necessary if you itemized the previous year)
  • Copy of the tax return, or income documents for your dependents
  • If you purchased health insurance through the exchange/marketplace, form 1095-A.

IRS Language Glossaries

The IRS has prepared the following glossaries to translate the federal tax terminology for non-English speaking taxpayers.

Earned Income Tax Credit Calculator
To determine whether or not you’re eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, use the IRS EITC tool.

Need Help with Tax Law?

The IRS is your most reliable resource. Go to www.irs.gov, and use the search box.
HINT: The IRS has information on several topics through its Interactive Tax Assistant:

Foreign Student Resources

  • To determine your tax residency status, please review the IRS Publication 519 – U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens. If you are not a U.S. resident for tax purposes, you are unfortunately ineligible to file using these free software programs, as they do not support form 1040NR.
  • For the 1040NR-EZ and 1040NR forms and instructions, please see below.
  • Regardless of whether or not you earned U.S. income, you must complete form 8843 if you hold an F or J visa.
  • Many universities also provide free access to the Glacier Tax Prep for international students. Please contact the international student services division at your university to inquire about this program.
  • You can also use Tax Act through the IRS Free File Program. Click here.
  • Note that online programs that provide tax preparation for the federal tax form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ do not provide assistance with state returns. You need to check with the tax agency for the state where you live and study in order to determine if you need to file resident or non-resident state returns.

cta-logo        ifff_logo_color-for-web-usel-2

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s