Home » FAQs


How long does it take to receive my refund?

If you e-file with direct deposit, most refunds are received in about 28 days. Returns claiming the EITC or the Additional Child Tax Credit will take longer. Returns or refunds sent by mail may take up to eight weeks. Twenty-one (21) days after filing you can check on the status of your refund at www.irs.gov/Refunds, by downloading the free IRS2Go App to your smart phone, or call the automated refund hotline: 1-800-829-1954.

Where can I find my 2018 AGI?
On line 7 of your 2018 Form 1040.

What if I cannot find my Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) or Personal Identification Number (PIN) from last year?

  • If you are a first-time filer over the age of 16, enter zero as your AGI.
  • Your PIN, is the five-digit number you choose to serve as you electronic signature if you filed your own tax return last year.
  • If you can’t find your AGI or PIN, the IRS suggests you use the IRS Get Transcript self-help tools to get a tax return transcript showing your AGI by one of the following options:
    • Online: Select the Tax Return Transcript and use only the “Adjusted Gross Income” line entry. Secure Access: How to Register for Certain Online Self-Help Tools provides you with the information you need to make the request.
    • By Mail: Please allow 5 to 10 days for delivery. Use only the “Adjusted Gross Income” line entry.

You can obtain your prior year PIN from the IRS via an online or phone request. To request your PIN online, please visit the following link: http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Electronic-Filing-PIN-Request.

Can I file state tax returns for states other than DC, MD, and VA?

Yes, the programs will take you through each relevant state return. For state specific information see the states department of revenue website. Click here for links for all states.

Can I file prior year tax returns using these free software programs?

No, the software programs unfortunately do not process prior year tax returns. However, we may be able to assist you via in-person services.

I am an international student. Am I eligible to file my taxes using these free software programs?

Please see the information on the Non-Resident page.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: